South America Vacation

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Patagonia







In the last two weeks I have visited a few more cities of Argentina and Chile. We went through the lake districts of both countries than headed down for Patagonia. It is as amazing as people say. It is so beatiful. Everywhere you look you can see mountains and lakes that are this amazing shade of blue. OUr first stop in Patagoins was El Chalten, where I did a full day trek to a glacier than geared up with crampons and did a glacier trek. This was pretty amazing despite the very cold temps. I also got to pull myself over a glacier water river on a rope..:)
We also stopped in El Calafate, which is the home of the famous Perito Moreno glacier. This was truely unreal. There are two pictures above...one shows a big chunk falling off. Every few minutes you would hear a loud noise and see large peices of ice tumbing into the waters below. The glacier was also very blue in color and soooo huge.
We made it Torres Del Paine national park and stayed for 4 days to do a bit of trekking. We were painfully welcomed with a little snowfall to set up our tents in....I felt like I was in Canada! The hikes were very beautiful...amazing mounatins and lakes everywhere. It was quite windy here, I felt like I could have been blown off the mountian at times. It did help us get up the mountain though!
On our way to Ushuaia, the end of the world...or the southern most city in the world, we stopped at a penguin colony...the little guys were everywhere and so cute! They were fairy penguins I think, so they dont get too big. About knee height.
I am now in Ushuaia, which is very beautiful but also cold. I hit a little snow storm as I walked to a glacier here. fun.... The good news though is that I will be hot temps in about a week to start working on a tan!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home